Director of Transit Operations
|Benefits:||Comprehensive Benefit Package|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
Manages the delivery of fixed-route services to the community to ensure operational excellence. Oversees the Transit Operations' functions, including all operators, service delivery and quality, supervision, dispatching, support operations and Government Square. Develops and recommends programs, including work rules, operating practices, employee relation strategies, including development and training, to improve employee efficiency and responsiveness of fixed route services.
- Supervises, leads and motivates personnel and coordinates operations of the Fixed Route Services team, including scheduling, dispatch, radio control, field operation, special events and data management.
- Develops and implements communication strategies to improve employee satisfaction at all levels within the Fixed Route Department.
- Conducts self in an appropriate manner as a representative of SORTA, working effectively in a diverse work environment.
- Determines and implements short/long-term strategies needed to support authority goals and plans.
- Manages department to ensure adherence to organizational policies, procedures and standards, including Authority's Emergency Response Plan, security policies, etc.
- Ensures compliance with records management standards and authority policy.
- Oversees the development and implementation of an on-going performance measurement and feedback system.
- Responsible for project management of service contracts and contractor performance.
- Oversee compliance with Labor Agreements and support EEO, Affirmative Action, and DBE policies/procedures. Participates in the negotiation and management of all collective bargaining agreements.
- Evaluates fixed route performance based on operations' key performance indicators and develops strategies to improve performance.
- Develops, administers and manages the transportation budget.
- Oversees the continued development of all Transit Operations employees to keep them abreast of new technologies; oversees and directs the development of Transit Operations Management employees' skills and understanding of procedures and policies. Advances staff through training, professional development and promotional opportunities.
- Model, facilitate and encourage exemplary internal and external customer service, open communication, collaboration, participation and professional development among staff.
- Responsible for maintaining a safe work environment.
- Performs related and other special duties as required.
- Bachelor degree in Business Administration, Planning or related field
- Minimum eight (8) years of progressively responsible operations management experience in a transit environment
- Experience in a labor union environment
- Strong working knowledge of transit management and operations principles and practices, including knowledge of fixed route, scheduling, dispatch, field operations, labor relations, collective bargaining and staff development.
- Strong supervisory skills, including the ability to plan, review, assign, evaluate and delegate work of subordinate management effectively.
- Extensive interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with strong organizational skills.
- Progressively responsible middle or senior management experience in bus operations, with direct fiscal responsibility.
- Extensive knowledge of transit operations, principles, practices and industry trends.
- Working knowledge of CAD/AVL, GPS, Fare Boxes and cameras. Prior experience with Trapeze is highly desirable.
- Proficient in MS Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.